Cooking with a tagine is one of the simplest ways to cook – I ain’t lying, so for lazy cooks or for people on the go with only 15-20 minutes to prepare a healthy meal – this recipe is super attainable to do!
You can follow this recipe or alternatively, you can add any vegetables that you desire to make your ultimate vegetables tagine recipe.
What Do You Need?
- A Tagine – that’s it!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 85 minutes
Vegetable Tagine Ingredients:
- 4 1/2 cups of tomato paste (either plain or with herbs added)
- 3 1/2 lb. vegetables, cut as you desire (either cubed or sliced)
- Lemon rind
- Salt and pepper
Vegetable Tagine Recipe
* Super Important Tip When Cooking with a Tagine: Ensure that you fill the tagine about half way and your meal makes a pyramid shape to fit inside the shape of the tagine. Ensure that your ingredients don’t touch the sides of the tagine as we want hot air to ciculate whilst the tagine is cooking.
- Pour the tomato paste in a saucepan. With medium heat, simmer the tomato paste, stirring often for about 25-30 minutes until it thickens.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Layer the cut vegetables in the tagine. Place the onions on the bottom layer and layer the vegetables up from the biggest cut to the smaller cut vegetables (smallest on top). As the bottom of the tagine has more heat, this allows larger cut vegetables to cook better.
- Layer the vegetables in a pyramid shape and ensure the tagine lid fits with a small gap in between the vegetables and the lid to allow hot air to circulate within the tagine.
- If using chickpeas and raisins, ensure they are placed in the middle.
- Pour the thickened tomato paste over the vegetables.
- Simmer the tagine over medium to high heat.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for about 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the tagine lid, garnish, add salt and pepper and serve with the tagine, tagines are great serving dishes so there is no need to transfer the meal to another dish.
Enjoy your healthy tagine meal!